Friday, March 9, 2012

Traveling for Surgery


Los Angeles, CA to Keene, NH: 2,962 mi
I recently received a post comment from fellow blogger Laura noticing my surgeon is in New Hampshire and I'm in California asking about travel and follow up appointments. Yes indeedie, I am one of those unfortunate people who is traveling for surgery. My OD only sends patients to two surgeons: one in Dallas and one in New Hampshire. Unfortunately, the doc in Dallas (Dr. Wolford) isn't an 'in network' provider, so, I will be packing my bags and flying 3000 miles away to Keene, New Hampshire. I'll arrive a day or two before surgery for my pre-surgery appointment, will stay at least two weeks after and will probably need to fly back for a 6 month check up (barring any unforeseen issues, like having screws or plates removed).  It's not ideal, but it will work. My OD will do all follow up appointments after I arrive back home - including removing my splint. I've mapped out where I'm going to stay, I have the mileage it will take to get there coach and back first class (I'll deserve the upgrade) and have even started making a list of vegan friendly stores for juice, smoothies and soup. I've had a handful of family members and friends (and the man) offer to go with me... so we'll see who really likes me this summer. I'm hoping for August. I'll learn more at my next appointment in two weeks. Hopefully, I'll get my steel wires. 



In case you are interested, here are a couple of great blogs of people who have traveled for surgery:

http://mycrookedjaw.blogspot.com - from Texas, traveled to Baltimore, MD, she recently made an unplanned trip back to have metal removed.

http://www.thejawstory.org - we have the same OD, she went to Dallas to see Wolford. Braces are off. 



3 comments:

  1. Even though you have to travel so far, at least you know you are going to be in very good hands since your orthodontist so highly recommends this oral surgeon. Plus- New England is a nice place to be in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Laura, it must be a great surgeon. Hopefully someone goes with you to keep you company. I go stir crazy being in the house for a weekend, it would suck to be alone, in a different state, and in recovery for two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! With good planning, it will probably work out ok. Boredom is definitely a concern. At least it's a cute little town that, if I'm mobile enough, I can walk around in.

    ReplyDelete